Estonian Country Schoolhouses 1920-1940
03.03. – 29.03.2014
Location: Vändra Raamatukogu
The exhibition gives an overview of the schoolbuildings that were built in rural areas during the years 1920–40. Approximately 160 buildings remain of 210. Today nearly half of the schoolbuildings are used as educational centres. Many are used as community centres, libraries and also as private houses. This exhibition underlines the main architectural characteristics of that time. The map shows the location of the buildings, also the ones that have not survived and ones that are under the protection of national heritage.
There were two architectural competitions for finding the best standard projects for schoolhouses during this period.
During that time period, rural architecture became under focus, especially its sustainability, modernity and traditionalism. Because of that most of these schoolhouses have a considerable place among high-quality Estonian rural architecture. Hopefully this exhibition helps turn attention to preserving and protecting these buildings.
Curator Sandra Mälk
Designer: Marge Pervik-Kaal
Translation: Vaike Vahter, Taire Kolts
Supporters: Eesti Kultuurkapital