Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ in Narva
Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ in Narva, aerial photographer Endel Grensmann
Harsh reality: The Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ in Narva designed by Paul Alisch in 1896 is the only neo-Byzantine religious building in Estonia – here seen in its Soviet context of dishonour. Before the war, the grand building stood in the now non-existent district of Joaoru in line with Alexander’s Cathedral creating an impressive architectural ensemble. Kiriku tänav (Church Street), which once connected the two churches, was however, filled with apartment blocks after the war.
The 2002 photograph by aerial photographer Endel Grensmann was purchased by the museum for its collection in 2003.